Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Happy Mother's Day!

I realize I'm a few days late with this post, but I blame our friends in Arkansas for getting married and dragging us across the country (losers). However, we were able to see our mothers around Mother's Day, so we can't be too upset about that. For my mom I decided to make something this year now that I have a little more free time. Think of this as my first project in my new "Crazy Crafty" life. 

My mom has always loved singing me the song "You Are My Sunshine." For as long as I remember she would sing it on special occasions or when the mood struck, no matter how many eye-rollings she had to endure. I even got a recorded card singing it to me once. This song will always be associated in my mind with my mom, and when I saw some art pieces on Pinterest using the lyrics to this song, I knew it was a perfect idea for a gift. Mother's Day just happened to be the next convenient holiday. 

"You Are My Sunshine" painting on canvas


First I had to decide what I wanted the painting to look like. I already had the canvas and I knew I wouldn't be able to fit all of the words to the song on the canvas, so I decided to do the first half of the lyrics. I saw several different versions of the song on Pinterest, and the one I liked the best used different fonts and colors for the main words of the song. Instead of using stencils I decided to print off the words using different fonts from the computer and cut out the words. This took a lot more time because it was like creating my own stencils but I liked that I had a lot more say over which fonts I could use and how big the letters would be. From there, I traced the letters and painted them in using colors I thought fit the text. I picked out a nice sky blue for the background et voila! A lovely piece of art for my mom's sewing room. 

Happy Mother's Day, Mom! You're the best! 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you again for my wonderful Mother's Day gift! It puts that special song in my heart every time I see it... kinda like a little long-distance Megan hug! XOXO

    ReplyDelete