Wednesday, May 9, 2012

From Your Little'Uns

I think I will always be that daughter who is twelve years old in her father's eyes, even though I passed that age a long time ago. While this can be difficult sometimes, especially as I moved halfway across the country from my family barely two years ago, it's nice to know that as I grow older I will still be someone's little girl. That is why I would like to dedicate this post to my father, who's celebrating his birthday today. I think it's important to celebrate the individuals in one's life, and in times like these when the basic rights of individuals are put into question it becomes even more important to step away from the issues and focus on those who make up your surroundings. So today my brother and I are going to tag-team this post to celebrate our dad.


Matt: It is my honor to contribute to my sister's post about our dad to celebrate his birthday. As the older brother of our family, my Dad's impact on me has been immeasurable. Growing up he was our leader and my mentor. We were very close and I believe had much in common. Even today we share interests in our relationship that I am thankful for. The bond we have now is not explained by chance but by love and experiences together.


Megan: My dad and I don't have much in common. I feel that this is important to our relationship because although he likes baseball and I like books, and he would prefer to be outdoors building something while I prefer to be indoors on the computer, we are still able to have lengthy conversations several times a week. The older I have gotten the more obvious it has become that even though he knows I don't care who won the game last night and I know he has no clue who Jeffrey Eugenides is we still share a bond that will never change and can never be broken, no matter how different we may be.


Matt: Back in the days when I was a Little Leaguer and Megan was playing with dolls my dad was an indestructible man who could do anything. From the handyman who provided for the family to coach who helped me to succeed to fishing guide for irreplaceable memories on the lake, his role in my life has been essential. I don't take the dad I had growing up, the one who loved and sacrificed for Megan and me, for granted. As time has gone by, the natural tendency to move on and experience life might have widened a gap in our relationship. With my dad, this has not been the case. Yes, I have ventured out like my sister, but he was managed to support me in a way I couldn't have asked for. So many times he drove hours to lend a helping hand or to visit. The dad I have as an adult is a little different from the one I had growing up. He's a little older and a little wiser. He hasn't lost his passion for creating and adventuring. He knows himself better, which has made him gentler and more patient.


Megan: My father is a man who has known loss and heartache, yet he stands out for his warm personality and great sense of humor. As his only daughter I have been able to see him grow more loving and carefree the older he has gotten, as if his experiences have allowed him to define what is truly important in his life (besides fishing, buying new trucks, and baseball season). He is a man who is dedicated to his children to the point of sacrificing things for himself in order to give us more. My dad still tells me he is proud of me, and he still brags to his friends about our achievements. Dear ol' dad risks his back every time our young cousins are around in favor of horsing around and is well known for telling "stories" (which explains why we believed in flying Ninja Turtles for so long) and playing practical jokes at work. He is creative and full of life, yet humble and willing to fall back in the crowd if only to give his children more room in the spotlight.


All of these things have made us proud to call you dad, and we are thinking of you from one side of the country to the other! This day and this post is for you, Dad! Happy birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment