Thursday, June 7, 2012

Moving Out: Five Weeks Before

Steve and I will be moving to a new, bigger, shinier place in about a month (hooray!) and I've decided it's about time to start packing. As I may have mentioned in one or two (or all) of my previous posts, I have a little thing for Pinterest. Some of the posts that fascinate me the most are about organization, and genius ideas people grab out of thin air on how to pack, move, and store just about anything. I tend to be just a smidge crazy when it comes to organization, and moving is my favorite time of the year because I finally have a reason to go through all of our belongings and throw things out! I believe it's better to get rid of the old and bring in...well, nothing, really. (Unless it's more books! I'll always say yes to more books!) Steve has more of a hard time getting rid of things but is getting used to my incessant need to clean out the closets. Moving halfway across the country two years ago helped us to purge most of our...dorm crap. And gave us a great reason to go to IKEA!

Anyhoo, I started checking out some organization blogs to see if they had any useful tips. And while most had some pretty great ideas for how to store paper towels and canned goods, I only found a couple on how to organize before a move. Disappointed, I thought I would take a whack at writing down my own ideas for our move. So...here is my 5-week plan for moving our stuff.

Week 5: Plan of Attack

This week is a great time to go over everything you own and plan your pack-attack (ha ha). I'm going to call this the "mental inventory" phase. Making lists at this point can be handy, but I don't think it's really necessary unless you're going to be buying or getting rid of a lot of things. This week, go through each room and get an idea of what exactly you have. Dig through drawers and cabinets, go through storage boxes and bags, and check out what's hanging in closets. If you notice something that you don't want or need anymore, set it aside. If you notice something you need to replace, make a note. If you find something broken, rusted, or rotting, throw it away. If you're planning on packing it and taking it with you, leave it alone. It's not necessary this week to make decisions about things you may want to sell or give away unless they jump out at you right away. This week, you should just get an idea of what you have so you can figure out how you're going to move it. 

By this point, you probably have some idea of what your new place looks like and where you'll be placing people and furniture. If not, try to make some sort of plan so you'll know what you might need to buy or get rid of. For instance, if your new place has room for an office or a second bedroom, you'll probably need to prepare to buy furniture and decor for this space. If you're moving to a smaller space, you'll probably need to get rid of furniture. When you have a good idea of what you'll be taking with you, it's time to start gathering moving boxes and supplies and planning for the moving day. I've been hoarding moving boxes for a few months in preparation so we won't have to go out and buy any, but there are plenty of places to get boxes. Craigslist often lists them under their "Free" section from other people's moves. Just remember that cardboard boxes can carry insect eggs, (including roaches, yuck!) so be careful about where you get them or you might be inviting some nasty creatures into your new place. This is also the week to check into places to take donations around your area. If you do pull items that you plan on donating, get a plastic or cardboard box to be used specifically for these donations. The attack does not have to be planned all at once, so if you prefer take the whole week and do a small section at a time (master closet, bathroom cabinets, bookshelves, etc.). When you find something you don't want, toss it in the donation box or the trash. 

Goals for Week 5:
  • Create mental inventory of belongings
  • Begin gathering moving boxes and supplies
  • Create plan for where things will go in the new house/apartment
  • Create lists for things you will need to buy/sell when you move

Next week: Getting serious about cleaning out belongings & preparing your old place for the move 

3 comments:

  1. Honey, I could have you packed and moved in a day... but I'm moved about twenty times in my life now! Be nice to Steve and let him keep whatever he wants. (BTDT - trust me on this one.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha... I agree with Karen to point... Kyle and I have moved sixteen times (together) in five years... and let me tell you, there's no easy or right way to do it. Although it is very important to hang on to what is important, purging your household of everything you can before a move can be very rewarding. A move should be a fresh start. Let steve keep what he wants, but get rid of what you can. It'll make you feel brand new. Clutter is bad for the soul!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Moving out and planning what to pack is also a chance to get rid of the things that you don’t need anymore, and, are just adding trash piles in your house. Also, in packing, aside from listing down things, and having mental inventories, it is important to take note of the things that usually go together. They should be packed in the same box so it would be easier when unpacking.

    Ericka Muldowney

    ReplyDelete